Posted on April 22 2013
Sleep is such an important part of health that there are now a regiment of natural insomnia cures. It's a surprise that sleep has a negative connotation. We come up with negative terms like "sleeping on the job." We equate sleeping in with laziness, taking naps at work as weakness or on the opposite end, working long hours into the night and cutting back on rest as something that is virtuous.
Perhaps that is why millions of people struggle with insomnia and all of its associated ailments: fatigue, pain, depression, overeating, sluggish metabolism, headaches, impaired thinking and the overall erosion of health.
There are a lot of things that keep us awake at night: too much caffeine, not enough exercise, stress, worry, TV, family conflicts, etc. However, we need to be vigilant with our sleep. A good night's rest is the gateway to better health, more energy, better problem-solving abilities and more productivity.
Consider Natural Insomnia Cures
Taking sleeping pills does not work for some people because even though they help you sleep, they can make you feel sleepy during the day. In this case, natural insomnia cures can work for most people. Be sure to check with your doctor to see if your insomnia is not a symptom of something more serious.
- Increase exercise - Exercise during the day can really benefit your muscles, circulatory system, breathing, weight, skin, etc. It is also a great way to improve your sleep. You also wake feeling more refreshed. Be sure to exercise during the day - night time exercise will fuel your insomnia.
- Get ready for bed - Rather than just jump into bed, make it a ritual. Take a warm bath, turn off the TV, settle arguments or tasks earlier, dim the lights and relax. This will help you make the transition into sleep.
- Fix what's bugging you - Is there a fly in the room? Get rid of it. Problem you can't help thinking about? Distract yourself with a good book. Skin itchy? Put some lotion on it. Sometimes, the littlest things will keep you awake.
- Do something fun - Nothing knocks you out faster than having a really great time doing something that makes you laugh and move around. Try not to do it too close to bedtime, and you will be out in no time.
- Use natural supplements - There are certain supplements that help promote sleep without making you tired the next day. Supplements like St. John's Wort and Sam-e are designed to help you elevate mood in a relaxing way. Chamomile tea is famous for a natural sleep aid, while lavender is a fragrant flower that also promotes relaxation.
Did you know that you can also use vaporization in your natural insomnia cures arsenal? All the things that promote fatigue, like colds, flus, illness, depression etc, can be aided by vaporizing the essential oils of healing and energizing herbs so you can inhale them directly for the most benefit. Digital vaporizers work well, because they can be synchronized for your individual needs, and they can be portable so you can take them to work or on trips. Vapir is a company that provides innovative natural health and aromatherapy supplies. Check them out to see how you can start improving your health with natural insomnia cures.